Moving Image Arts AS Level 2017/18 Applications Now Open

Screen Education Edinburgh are delighted to announce the third year of Moving Image Arts As Level qualification for twelve participants in Edinburgh through funding provided by Creative Scotland.


Moving Image Arts (MIA) is a practical subject with hands on film production at its core. 60% of the qualification is based on a portfolio and final film that participants research, develop, write, produce, direct, shoot and edit. The other 40% is based on studying and developing a knowledge of film history and theory with particular focus on Alfred Hitchcock and the Classical Hollywood Style and Formalism: Early European Cinema and American Expressionism. The qualification is developed and accredited by the Council for the Curriculum, Examinations and Assessment (CCEA) in Northern Ireland and is believed to be the best film qualification in schools across Europe.

MIA is an ideal choice for students wishing to pursue a career in the Creative Industries, which value and promote independence, originality, creative enterprise and technical skill. The course develops creative and critical abilities in writing, producing, directing and editing, as well as analysing films from a range of contexts and disciplines.

Okay – Eilish Adair, 2017

60% of previous Moving Image Arts students here at Screen Education Edinburgh have gone onto study film at Edinburgh Napier University and with another 20% going into industry jobs and apprentice schemes. The remaining 20% have gone onto further education at College.

Watch the films from first year’s AS Level Course here.

Watch the films from this year’s AS Level Course here.


Moving Image Arts is delivered as an extra curricular activity after school hours at our base. Due to the Academic nature of the course candidates must meet certain eligibility criteria:


To study the Moving Image Arts AS Level you must meet the following:

  • Live in Edinburgh or close enough to be able to attend classes weekly at Screen Education Edinburgh
  • Achieved a National 5 grade A or B in Media Studies and/or English or
  • Achieved a Higher grade A-C in Media Studies and/or English or
  • Participated in a BFI Film Academy or
  • Are able to demonstrate the technical filmmaking and Academic ability needed in order to participate in the course
  • Are not attending a University course.

Anyone aged up to 19 who fits the criteria above is able to apply for this course.

Participation on MIA is completely free, but only 12 places are available.

Fixing the Pieces – Liam Russell, 2016


The course will be delivered at Screen Education Edinburgh. Delivery of the project will be managed by Graham Fitzpatrick (Creative Manager at SEE) and taught by our lead film tutors Brian Robinson and Sean Young who are both practising filmmakers, educated to Masters and Honours Degree level respectively in film and have extensive experience as a film tutor across our programmes.

SEE specialise in running filmmaking and film education projects: currently we run three British Film Institute (BFI) Film Academies in; Edinburgh (covering South East Scotland), Inverness (covering the Highlands and Islands) and a UK Wide Summer Residential based in Edinburgh, delivering the BFI/ Creative Skillset qualification ‘Preparing to Work in the Film Industry’.

We also work with young people living in areas of multiple deprivation, those engaged with equalities groups and those living in areas of rural and cultural isolation through our Cashback for Creativity programme across Edinburgh and the Lothians, as well development of NEET young people through our Princes Trust Get Started programme, with Arts Award qualifications embedded into both.


MIA classes will run alongside the school term with one two hour session per week at term time starting week beginning 4th September 2017 and ending with an exam in June 2018.

Sessions will take place on Tuesdays 5-7pm or Thursdays 5-7pm depending on which class you are assigned (some classes may run for an extra hour until 8pm but you will be given notice of this).


Fill out the application form below and email it to

Word Doc moving-image-arts-applications-form

PDF moving-image-arts-applications-form

If you have any questions email Brian or speak to him on 0131 343 1151.

 The deadline for applications is Monday 25th August at 12pm. 


Full details of the curriculum can be found on the link: 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: